I'm tweaking the tagline for my blog.  Currently the tag is:  The Adventures of Novelist Dwight Okita.  But I want to focus more clearly on the value I provide my blog followers.  So for now the tag is:

Lessons Learned as a Self-published Writer, Movie Deals in the Making, Confessions of a Movie-holic, the Single Gay Man's Guide to Love in the New Millennium.


For this post, I wanted to share an email I received recently from a woman who works on the live action films for Disney.  Her focus is the book-to-film projects.  She came across my novel THE PROSPECT OF MY ARRIVAL while search on Amazon.  She loved the book and wanted to know about movie rights.  

Here was the amazing email she sent me January 2012:




hello Dwight!  loved your book!

i'm a book to film scout at disney live action feature films and i was wondering what's up with the film rights to PROSPECT OF MY ARRIVAL. before talking to anyone else at the studio about it, i'd like to be sure of it's availability for film.  i read somewhere that a script is being written. is it on spec, did you commission or has someone already optioned the material? would love to talk to you about it if possible.
thanks very much!
all best,

p.s. your next book, THE HOPE STORE, sounds wonderfully cinematic as well!


She presented my book to four Disney execs.  They read it and decided it was not "family friendly" enough.  But the woman continues to talk up my work to other film producers.  Such is the roller-coaster ride I've been on.  Prospect is currently being looked at by an indie movie producer, and various screenwriter/adapters are being talked to in the meantime.  My manager in LA continues to shop around my work for me. As I rework The Hope Store, it is with cinematic opportunities in mind.

P.S.  As Prospect came out September 2011, I am going to be doing a revise of the book (kindle and POD) to clean up any typos and do minor tweaks around September 2012.  Also I just entered the book for consideration for the Association for Asian American Studies book award.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

My entry to the 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards