A perfect read for Memorial Day, a novel which honors the war dead.  So it goes...

SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE. I was moved throughout, but let down a bit by the end. Wondered what others thought of the ending.

I just reread Slaughterhouse Five. When I first read the book as a youth, I remember the humor. But now as a grown man and author, I was deeply moved by the gravitas, absurdity, and surrealism. The writing itself is gorgeous and haunting. The chapters were so compelling, I couldn't stop reading. That rarely happens with me.

So I was surprised when I came to the end that it wasn't more satisfying or affecting. I know Vonnegut drops hints that it's not a regular story with character and plot. But I think I was expecting some full-blown scene between the man who was killed for stealing at teapot (Edgar Derby) instead of the passing reference. Or a scene between Billy Pilgrim and his wife or son. I suppose the closest type of scene like that was between Billy and Rumfoord, as Billy keeps uttering the fact that he was there, he was a prisoner of war. Though it didn't resonate as much since we don't know that character that well.

Or maybe I was expecting more repercussions when people learn Billy is time travelling. That someone might make the connection that it might be a result of the trauma of war and all the deaths. Overall I loved the book. I'd love to hear from other readers to see if they found the ending of the book moving or not.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

My entry to the 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards