Hi, one of my favorite novel contests is rolling around again:  The Strongest Start.  You simply have to write the most irresistible opening three chapters to a novel.  Nothing else.  Hook the reader and never let them go.

I entered this contest two years ago and made it to the finals in the literary category for THE HOPE STORE.  I'm returning this year with a very much new and improved version.  I'm excited to see how it does in the contest.  The initial version had two first person narrators that alternated.  The new version is in third person omniscient.  And since readers responded to the character of Jada Upshaw who is suicidal and goes to The Hope Store as a last resort for salvation -- she is now the main character.

If you're interested in entering and have any questions, send them to me below.  And if you have more than one entry for the contest, that seems to be okay too.  It's a great way to send up a trial balloon to see reader response to your novel in a low-risk, high-involvement setting.  In order to post your three chapters, you also need to read and review your peers.  And get a members to TheNextBigWriter.com. It's like $49 for the year.  (Meanwhile the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards are in their Semi Final stage, if you want to check those excerpts out.)

Below is a video that the contest creator Sol did a few years ago.  Some details have changed.  It'll give you a flavor for things.  The website is below:

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/competition/strongest_start.html



Comments

  1. Welcome to new followers of my blog: Cara Betrand, Cheyenne Williams, Our Penguin in Havana, and Ia at Sydney's Song. I want to always acknowledge new followers from now on.
    -- Dwight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently joined several blog groups, blog hops, etc. So I love to have new followers. Also feel free to add your email so that you automatically get my new posts without having to look for them. Also if anyone would like me to follow back, please let me know. Comments are always welcome in this lonely, lovely blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

My entry to the 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?