What the Muppets can teach us about life


I saw the new MUPPETS movie tonight.  I'm a believer.  It has some of the most touching songs in it including "Pictures in My Head" and "Am I a Man or a Muppet?" (written by New Zealand songwriter Bret McKenzie) and a poignant reprise of "The Rainbow Connection" that has new resonance in a modern context.  Making open reference to the question of whether the muppets are relevant ten years later in this cynical age of ours -- the muppets seem more symbolic than ever.  I bought the digital CD as soon as I got home.  Click below to listen to the songs.  Though I should says the songs are more powerful in the context of the movie.


As a novelist, I'm also inspired by the clean character arcs and goals of the characters.  The hero and villain have clear, tangible goals that are mutually exclusive.  So when the climax occurs, we know what's at stake and when the story is over.  I often find that good animated films teach me about the importance of this kind of clean plot line.

For example in a hypothetical story, let's say a hero is opening a controversial new kind of business.  Maybe the hero's goal is to win a certain award from the scientific community to give a much-needed seal of approval.  And maybe the villain is a journalist whose star has faded with time.  And her goal is to do an blistering expose showing that the supposed medical breakthrough cure has actually has lead to the complications for test subjects, and would endanger new customers.  Yes, she wants to do her bit for consumer protection, but she wants to shine up her faded star even more.  The climax almost writes itself.



In the past, I've started with a premise and then tried to envision what the most intriguing climax would be.  I find the "Dynamic of creating mutually exclusive goals" a much more efficient and compelling way to grow a plot line.  There is something about animated features that always reminds me of this point.  Their simplicity.

I'd be interested to hear from other writers (readers and viewer too) their thoughts on this.  I am finding by using this approach, I can fix a big flaw in an ending to a current novel by plugging the goals of hero and villain to see if they mutually exclude each other.  The goals should not only conflict, but the achievement of one should obliterate the other.  I'm going to back to revisit my past novels, as well as novels I enjoy by other authors, to see if this litmus test holds true.

Probably within the coming week, I will do my Year In Review.  In which I look at the highs and lows for me in 2011, as well as the best movies, books and music I've come across this year.  I don't take new year resolutions too seriously, but I do love to look back on the year.  I can tell you now that the THE MUPPETS is on my list of top ten movies of 2011!  Some other likely contenders?  The Descendants.  50/50.  Bridesmaids.  Melancholia.  Drive.  Midnight in Paris.  The Interrupters.  The Artist.

Comments

  1. Just downloaded your book the Prospect of My Arrival. Like many I download quite a few freebies but after skimming a few pages of your book I've moved it to the top of my list. It seems like you have a unique voice and a vivid imagination. I will post a review when I finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Eric! I'm sorry I'm just discovering your message now in February! I hope you enjoy my book. A review would be great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

What Ingredients Should Go Into Your Novel?