Dwight's Year in Review (Memorable Life Events, Favorite Movies & More!


More than making New Year's resolutions that I know I will break by January 2nd -- I much prefer doing a look back at the past year.  I will start by giving my list of Top 5 Life Events from the past year.  Then I'll move on to things like Top 5 Movies, Musical Acts, Books, Trends, New Products, Cultural Epiphanies, etc.  So come back for more.

* * * DWIGHT'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2011

I see a lot of movies.  From art films that no one's heard of to PIXAR cartoons.  I don't claim that these were the best films of the year.  They are my favorite.  And they cross a broad spectrum.

1.  50/50
This was an insanely good movie, and will likely be overlooked by the award shows.  (I have since seen that the Golden Globes nominated the film for Best Comedy and Gordon-Levitt for Best Actor in a Comedy!)  The screenplay was inspired by the real life experience of actor Seth Rogen's roommate's diagnosis of brain cancer (he survived as you might guess).  Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the hero who has a 50/50 chance of surviving the cancer.  The actor played in the TV show Third Rock from the Sun.  He perfectly underplays what could have been a melodramatic role.  And there comes a moment in the film when he breaks which I was deeply moved by.  Seth Rogen plays himself as the bumbling roomie and is very good.  Angelica Huston is so good as the smothering/loving mother -- I couldn't take my eyes off her.  The actor who plays her Alzheimer's-stricken husband Serge Houde has only a few lines but also compels.  Anna Kendrick (so good in UP IN THE AIR) has another terrifically thorny role as a beginning psychiatrist who is not clear exactly how to set boundaries with her new patient.

If there was one film this year that I recommend people check out, it's this one.  The hero and all the surrounding characters are extremely engaging, flawed and lovable.  Each deserve a movie of their own.

2.  IDES OF MARCH
This movie was a smart, political movie filled with moral ambiguities and good roles.  A special nod to George Clooney for directing and writing this film.  It clearly comes out of his own passion for politics.  (He also gave a touching, understated performance in THE DESCENDANTS so he had a good year.)  Phillip Seymor Hoffman and Paul Giamatti are fascinating.  This was my favorite political film this year.  Special nod to Ryan Gosling.  In addition to being a hunk, he displayed a great acting range this year in three films:  IDES OF MARCH, DRIVE and STUPID CRAZY LOVE.

3.  THE MUPPETS
I've written more about this film on an earlier blog post.  Kudos to Jason Segal for writing, starring and shepherding this film.  The second time I watched it, I was taken with his eternally bemused facial expression which was perfect for a stylized movie like this.  And some great dancing.  The lyrics hit me on a deeper level in this film, "Have you been half-asleep?  And have you heard voices?  I think they're calling my name."

4.  STUPID CRAZY LOVE  
This was one of the most romantic, anti-romantic films of the year.  You root for Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore's characters to come back together after their break up.  It's one of the best arguments for marriage in a long time.

5.  MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
Woody Allen's evocation of Paris in the old days was so ravishing, it made me want to live there.  I won't easily forget Corey Stoll's hypnotic turn as the ridiculously dashing Ernest Hemingway.  I hope he gets a nomination.  Owen Wilson worked well as a stand-in for Allen himself.

6.  THE DESCENDANTS 
George Clooney plays a man who's wife is in a coma after an accident.  But when he learns of her secret affair, his feelings become complicated.  By the films end, Clooney's quiet calm portrayal moved me as he tries to make peace with issues that cannot be resolved in this lifetime.

7.  BRIDESMAIDS 
Seeing Kirsten Wiig create amazing characters on SNL, I always hoped one day her range would be captured in a  movie.  This one comes pretty close.  I sincerely hope that Melissa McCarthy gets a supporting actress nom for her role.

8.  MORGAN
I saw this film through a film fest in Chicago.  It's a small indy film that boasts a terrific performance by Leo Manaya as a gay athlete who becomes wheelchair-bound.  He falls for a guy who seems perfect for him.  But complications arise.  The character of Morgan made a big impression on me.  And the performances of the two leads had real chemistry.  Actress Darra Boyd impressed as the black gal pal of Morgan.

9.  THE INTERRUPTERS
Though I've yet to see this documentary, the previews and reviews lead to me choose this as my favorite documentary of the year.  It's about an organization in Chicago called Cease Fire which tries to prevent gang violence before escalates.  From one of the creators of HOOP DREAMS.

10.  MELANCHOLIA
This Lars Van Trier sci fi film boasted some stunning imagery and a great performance by Kirstin Dunst. I just wish the director would stop the shaky camerawork which makes me nauseous.  I had to miss 10 minutes of the film just to regain my equilibrium in the lobby.  This film succeed to tell an actual story, as opposed to the equally artsy and ambitious TREE OF LIFE.  Melancholia is about how different two sisters respond to the possible end of the world.  Dunst's reaction is to become depressed.

Biggest disappointments:  Tree of Life, The Artist, Super 8, Hugo.



* * * DWIGHT'S TOP 5 LIFE EVENTS FROM 2011


1  The publishing of my debut novel Prospect of My Arrival.
It was a dream come true.  Self publishing gave me the chance to work with talented editors and designers to create the total experience in a book.  I couldn't have been more thrilled with the final resulting softcover and ebook.  In 2012, I will mount my marketing strategy to reach the New York Times bestseller list!  I'll be placing a web advertisement in February on Kindle Nation.  With higher royalties on my book, this is a new income stream for me.

2  Giving a spirited and well-attended book launch/reading at Women & Children First bookstore.
The store was filled with well-wishers.  I performed three short chapters from Prospect, all set to evocative music.  In 2012, I hope to release a short video to YouTube based on the performance.

3  Launching my web design business. 
Beauty and technology came together in my new web design business.  I created websites for two authors, a nonprofit, and my first for-profit.  I also started designing blog & website headers!

4  Welcoming my first tenants into the family condo as I became a first-time landlord.
After having the condo re-floored and painted, Chicago Apt Finders got me some good tenants.  One is an art student in animation.  They've lived on Oakdale for about half a year.  This is a new income stream for me and helped me transition from unemployed to self-employed.

5  My brother Clyde regaining his zest for life post-stroke. 
My brother requires a walker to get around after his stroke.  One day I learned that he started taking the CTA bus on his own!  Started going to Starbucks and Walgreens on his own!  His zest for life is evidenced by his desire to spend money again and get a regular allowance.  All good things.  He also is a photographer.  In 2011, I wrote an article for a Chicago paper about the AIDS crisis turning 30.  In it, I used a some great shots my brother took of me and my friend Jimmi Brown who passed away from AIDS.  In the photo, we were leaping into the air in front of a wall of graffiti.  And so my brother got a new publishing credit for his work too.

*** MORE TO COME.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

What Ingredients Should Go Into Your Novel?