After the Book Launch: For My Next Trick


 Hi Folks.
This gorgeous photo is by my friend Mary in New York.  It would be a stunning picture without my book in it with that NY snow and light and the birds.  But with my book in it -- it's stunning.

Before I talk about the post-book-launch, I want to ask you out there in Blogland "What is a blog for?"  Of course we'd all like our blogs to be optioned and turned into movies.  But the truth is most of us are lucky if we can even get more than a handful of followers to follow us.  If you write a blog and no one reads it -- does it make a sound (think of the tree falling in an empty forest).  Probably.  A blog without an audience, if nothing else, is a diary to oneself.  And there's value in that.  But if I wanted to write a diary, I wouldn't be on the worldwide web.  I don't just want to be followed, I want to be commented upon, and engaged.  It's lonely out here in the Blogosphere.  And please tell me what you would like from me in return.  I've comment on other folks' blogs and I plan to do more.  I'm open.  There are lurkers.  I see from my blogger stats that my average post might have 40 visitors, but only one commenter. So that is my wish.  Hopefully we can satisfying each other's cravings.




AFTER THE BOOK LAUNCH
So what am I doing after my book signing / reading?  Well, I posted photos from the event on facebook.  I sent some key pictures to all the attendees with my heartfelt thanks.  55 attended.  And cleverly I also sent the same pictures to those who weren't able to attend (this info is captured thru the Evite) to give them a sense of the event.  I also encouraged their support by buying my book.  I think that's a good idea that most authors don't think about. There were 150 could not attend. Here are some next steps:

1  Met with a friend to look at national publications I can send a complimentary hardcopy of my book to in hope of a review or feature story.  To start out, I might just send 5 or 10 with a cover letter.

2  I'm thinking of doing a Book Reading Video.  This is different from my book trailer.  It would actually be a video of me, the author, reading a short excerpt with musical underscoring.  Maybe with some interesting visuals edited in.  I haven't seen too many videos of authors reading from their novels.  I think it can be potentially a great tool, especially if you're a good reader.

3  I'm still hoping that Booklist will review my novel.  And that PW Select will select my indie book for a full fledged review.  Those would give awesome exposure nationally to libraries, indy book stores, etc.  The holidays are coming.  Perfect time to give the gift of a book.

4  I dug up the latest version of my next novel in progress.  Started reading it on my kindle (looks pretty there!).  Will start evaluating its strengths and weaknesses, focusing the storylines, deepening characters, etc.  Might submit to ABNA.

So that's what I'm doing post-launch.  If you've launched a book, what have you done?  Or if you have comments or questions or suggestions on this post – please engage me!

Dwight Okita
The Prospect of My Arrival (available on Amazon)
The Hope Store (in development).
Other projects:  Slumber Parties for Grown-Ups.
                         Unaccounted For.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

What Ingredients Should Go Into Your Novel?