Youth should be heard, not just seen.





I'm going to break from tradition for a moment.  Usually at "Long Day's Journey Into Dwight," I talk about the writer's challenges and breakthroughs.  But I wanted to share a youtube video that moved me.  There is a high incidence of queer teens -- and those who are perceived to be queer -- who commit suicide.  This brave young man had the wherewithal to make this powerful video.  I wanted to share it.  If you wish to send him a note of encouragement, you can do so at the link below, where you can also view the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdkNn3Ei-Lg&feature=share

Below is the note I wrote to him:


Wow, this is a powerful video. And to you, the young man who made it, this is proof of your talent and worth and your right to be here. Stay strong. Rise above the bullies. Thank you so much for making this video which I hope many people see.  When I was younger I was painfully shy and deeply depressed.  I was made fun of for being asian.  They didn't know I was gay too.  But I found my voice and I just published my first novel!  I found friends and community. I am happy. You will be happy too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE REVIEW OF ANOMALISA: An Edward Hopper Painting Come to Life

How Big Is The Circle of Your Friends?

What Ingredients Should Go Into Your Novel?